Best resource of Current Affairs for UPSC, SSC CGL, CHSL, MTS, CPO, IB, Railways, SBI PO, IBPS PO, SO etc.
Table of Contents
- 2018 Elections
- All Name Changes
- Sikkim: World’s 1st Organic State
- Tallest Statues in the World
- GI Tag
- Shakti: India’s 1st Microprocessor
- Maharatnas & Navratnas
- Signature Bridge
- Trojan Horse Antibiotic
Kumbh Mela (Kumbh Fair)
A mass Hindu pilgrimage of faith in which Hindus gather to bathe in a sacred or holy river.
- Traditionally, four fairs are widely recognized as the Kumbh Melas: the Prayag Kumbh Mela, Haridwar Kumbh Mela, the Nashik-Trimbakeshwar Simhastha, and Ujjain Simhastha.
- These four fairs are held periodically at one of the following places by rotation: Prayagraj, Haridwar, Nashik district (Nashik and Trimbak), and Ujjain.
- The main festival site is located on the banks of a river: the Ganges (Ganga) at Haridwar; the confluence (Sangam) of the Ganges and the Yamuna and the invisible Sarasvati at Prayag; the Godavari at Nashik; and the Shipra at Ujjain.
- Bathing in these rivers is thought to cleanse a person of all their sins.
Types of Kumbh Melas
- The Maha Kumbh occurs after 12 Purna Kumbh Melas i.e. every 144 years.
- The Kumbh Mela (‘Full Kumbh Fair’), occurs every 12 years at a given site. Kumbh Mela at Prayag is celebrated approximately 3 years after Kumbh at Haridwar and 3 years before Kumbh at Nashik and Ujjain (both of which are celebrated in the same year or one year apart).
- Ardh Kumbh (‘Half Kumbh’) Mela occurs every 6 years between the two Purna Kumbha Melas at Prayag and Haridwar.
- 2019 – Ardh Kumbh Mela – Prayag (Allahabad, UP) – 15 Jan to 4 Mar
- 2021- Kumbh Mela – Haridwar (UK)
Bogibeel Bridge – India’s longest Road-Rail bridge
Over: Brahmaputra River Location: Dhemaji district & Dibrugarh district, Assam Length: 4.94 km Inauguration: 25 Dec 2018 Estimated cost: Rs. 5,900 crore
- Bogibeel Bridge will connect the south bank of the Brahmaputra river in Dibrugarh district with Silapathar in Dhemaji district, in Assam, bordering Arunachal Pradesh.
- Asia’s second-longest rail-and-road connector has a lifespan of around 120 years.
- The bridge has a 2-line railway track on the lower deck and a 3-lane road on the top deck. It will reduce the Delhi to Dibrugarh train travel time by about 3 hours.
- Being located in an area of intense rainfall, construction has been significantly slowed down by the fact that construction largely takes place only during a period of four dry months between November and March.
- Due to its location, the bridge will be of strategic importance to India as it will significantly enhance India’s ability to transport troops and supplies to its border with Tibet in Arunachal Pradesh.
Important North Indian Ocean Cyclones of 2018
|Name||Areas Affected||Name Given by|
|Sagar||Yemen, Horn of Africa||India|
|Mekunu||Yemen, Oman, Saudi Arabia||Maldives|
|Daye||Andhra Pradesh, East + Central + North India||Myanmar|
|Titli||Andhra Pradesh, East India||Pakistan|
|Gaja||Andaman Islands, Tamil Nadu, Sri Lanka||Sri Lanka|
|Phethai||East India, Northeast India||Thailand|
|Fani||Yet To Arrive||Bangladesh|
2018 Indian Elections
|Tripura||BJP||Biplab Kumar Deb (BJP)|
|Meghalaya||NPP + UDP||Conrad Sangma (NPP)|
|Nagaland||NDPP + BJP||Neiphiu Rio (NDPP)|
|Karnataka||JD(S) + INC||H. D. Kumaraswamy (JD(S))|
|Chattisgarh||INC||Bhupesh Baghel (INC)|
|Madhya Pradesh||INC||Kamal Nath (INC)|
|Rajasthan||INC||Ashok Gehlot (INC)|
|Telangana||TRS||K Chandrashekar Rao (TRS)|
NSA Ajit Doval – The most powerful Indian Bureaucrat
Until October 2018, Cabinet Secretary (most senior bureaucrat in the government) was the most powerful bureaucrat but since the time NSA Ajit Doval has become the chairman of Strategic Policy Group (1st level of the 3-tier structure of the National Security Council), now he has the highest amount of powers. Some of the members of Strategic Policy Group are Cabinet Secretary of India, Chief of Army, Navy & Air Force, RBI Governor, Defence Secretary, Home Secretary, Finance Secretary, Director of IB, etc.
Currently: 5th NSA of India, Chairman of Strategic Policy Group Awards: Police Medal, President's Police Medal, Kirti Chakra Previously: Director of the Intelligence Bureau
- Doval played a crucial role in ensuring the secure return of 46 Indian nurses who were trapped in a hospital in Tikrit, Iraq.
- Along with Army Chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag, Doval planned a military operation against militants operating out of Myanmar. The mission was said to be a success with 50 militant casualties.
- He is widely credited for the doctrinal shift in Indian national security policy in connection to Pakistan. Switching from ‘Defensive’ to ‘Defensive Offensive’ as well as the ‘Double Squeeze Strategy.’ It is contemplated that the September 2016 Indian surgical strikes in Pakistan were his brain-child, which were extremely effective in neutralizing targets hostile to India.
- Doval is widely credited along with Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar and Indian Ambassador to China Vijay Keshav Gokhale, for resolving Doklam Standoff through diplomatic channels and negotiations.
All Name Changes 2018
- Ross Island – Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Island
- Neil Island – Shaheed Dweep
- Havelock Island – Swaraj Dweep
- Allahabad – Prayagraj
- Mughalsarai Junction (railway station) – Deen Dayal Upadhyay Junction railway station
- Hazratganj Chauraha in Lucknow – Atal Chowk
- Naya Raipur – Atal Nagar
- Bilaspur University – Atal Bihari Vajpaypee University
- Faizabad – Ayodhya
- Agartala Airport – Maharaja Bir Bikram Airport
- Gorakhpur Airport – Mahayogi Goraknath Airport
- Agra Airport – Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay airport
- Sabarmati Ghat – Atal Ghat
- Kandla Port – Deendayal Port
- Wheeler Island – Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Island
- Bundelkhand Expressway – Atal path
- Robertsganj railway station – Sonbhadra railway station
Sikkim – World’s 1st Organic State
Sikkim received UN Food and Agriculture Organisation’s (FAO) Future Policy Gold Award, in Rome, for becoming world’s first 100% organic state, beats 51 other nominations from 25 countries.
CM: Pawan K. Chamling (Sikkim Democratic Front) Governor: Ganga Prasad Capital: Gangtok
- Brazil, Denmark and Quito in Ecuador shared the 2nd spot.
- The state also received an “Oscar” for best policies at the ceremony after bolstering its efforts to attain sustainable development goals.
- The award which recognises world’s best laws and policies promoting agroecology is co-organised by FAO, World Future Council (WFC) and International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movement (IFOAM) – Organics International.
- CM Kumar Chamling, Sikkim Democratic Front MP Prem Das Rai, and Indian Ambassador Reenat Sandhu received the award on the behalf of the state.
- The policy that brought them the award focused on total elimination of chemical fertilisers and pesticides and helped achieve a total ban on the sale and use of chemical pesticides in the state. Sikkim has also noted a 50 % growth between 2014 and 2017 by just boosting its agro-ecology.
Train 18 – India’s Fastest Train
- India’s first engine-less self propelled train
- Built by: Integral Coach Factory (ICF) Chennai
- Under: Make in India Project
- Time Period: 18 months
- Will replace: Shatabdi Express (eventually)
- Expense: Rs 100 Crore (approx)
- First Test Run: 29/10/2018
- Max Speed: 220 KM/H
- 2nd Fastest: Gatiman Express (160 KM/H)
Tallest Statues in the World
1st – Statue of Unity – 182 m
- Depicts: Vallabhbhai Patel (1st Deputy Prime Minister)
- Location: Sadhu bet, Near Sardar Sarovar Dam, Narmada district, Gujarat
- Designer: Ram V. Sutar from Maharashtra
2nd – Spring Temple Buddha (128 m)
- Depicts: Vairocana Buddha
- Location: Lushan, Henan, China
3rd Position: Laykyun Setkyar (115.8 m)
- Depicts: Buddha (Gautama)
- Location: Khatakan Taung, near Monywa, Sagaing Division, Myanmar
Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World) – 93 m
- Depicts: Liberty, the Roman goddess
- Location: Liberty Island, New York, US
Statue of Equality (Ramanuja) – 65.8 m
- Depicts: Ramanuja
- Location: Hyderabad, India
GI (Geographical Indication) Tag
A geographical indication (GI) is a name or sign used on certain products which corresponds to a specific geographical location or origin (e.g. a town, region, or country).
- The GI tag ensures that none other than those registered as authorised users (or at least those residing inside the geographic territory) are allowed to use the popular product name.
- 1st GI Tag in India: Darjeeling tea – Darjeeling, WB – 2004
- GI Tags in 2018:
- Alphonso (Hapus) Mango – Maharashtra
- Shahi Litchi – North Bihar
- Silao Khaja – Nalanda, Bihar
- Boka saul (mud rice) – Assam
- Adilabad Dokra and Warangal Durries – Telangana
- Chau mask of Purulia, the wooden mask of Kushmandi, the Patachitra, the Dokras of Bengal, and Madhurkathi (a kind of mat) – WB
- Nilambur Teak – Kerala
India’s First Indigenously Built Microprocessor
- Researchers at Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (IITM) have designed and India’s first microprocessor “Shakti“
- The Shakti family of processors was fabricated at Semi-Conductor Laboratory (SCL), Indian Space Research Organizations (ISRO) in Chandigarh, making it the first ‘RISC V Microprocessor’ to be completely designed and made in India.
- The SCL is an autonomous body engaged in research and development in microelectronics to meet strategic needs of the country.
- In July 2018, an initial batch of 300 chips, named RISECREEK was produced under Project Shakti, that were fabricated at the Multinational Chip Manufacturer Intel’s facility at Oregon, USA, that successfully booted the Linux operating system.
- The team is now ready with ‘Parashakti’, an advanced microprocessor for Supercomputers. It will be ready by Dec, 2018. It will go into desktops and 32 of them interconnected can go into supercomputers.
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- Coal India Limited
- Gas authority of India limited (GAIL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
- National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC Limited)
- Oil & Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC)
- Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
- Container Corporation of India Limited
- Engineers India Limited
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited
- National Aluminium Company Limited
- National Buildings Construction Corporation Limited
- NMDC Limited
- Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited
- Oil India Limited
- Power Finance Corporation Limited
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited
- Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited
- Rural Electrification Corporation Limited
- Shipping Corporation of India Limited
Country’s first asymmetrical cable-stayed bridge
Location: Delhi, India Built on: Yamuna river Connects: East delhi to Wazirabad Dimensions: 675 m long x 35.2 m wide x 165 m high Contractor: Joint Venture Gammon-Cidade-Tensacciai
- The bridge was inaugurated on 4 November 2018 by the CM of Delhi Arvind Kejriwal.
- Signature bridge is tallest structure in Delhi and is double the height of Qutub Minar, with 154-metre high viewing box, which act as selfie points for people.
- It shortens the travel time between north and northeast Delhi.
Trojan Horse Antibiotic
Producing Company: Shionogi Inc (Japan) Drug Name: Cefiderocol Lead Researcher: Simon Portsmouth Currently in: Phase 3
Mount Everest Climbers
- First Men (1953): Edmund Hillary (NZ) and Tenzing Norgay (Nepal)
- First Women (1975): Junko Tabei (Japan)
- First Amputee (1 leg) (1998): Tom Whittaker (England)
- First Double Amputee (No legs) (2006): Mark Joseph Inglis (NZ)
- First Female Amputee (1 leg) (2013): Padma Shree Dr. Arunima Sinha (India)
- NOTE: She has been awarded an honorary doctorate by University of Strathclydea, a prestigious UK university for her inspirational achievements.
The owner of Eduonine 24. He likes to create notes and write about various things happening in the Indian Education System.